- 138 (Registered)
Susan Lewis – North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians
Archive : Susan Lewis – North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians Digital Download
Salepage : Susan Lewis – North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians
Delivery : Online With Any Device
- Susan Lewis
- 5 Hours 59 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Mar 12, 2019
Join Susan Lewis, psychologist and attorney, for this recording that will prepare you for litigation issues which can put your clients, your license and your practice at risk. You will learn how to structure your practice to limit exposure of risk, as well as discover simple records, notes and actions that will protect you in the event of a complaint. Susan will provide you with the following take-home tools to minimize risk:
- Updates on HIPAA and North Dakota laws and regulations
- Risk management strategies
- How to avoid litigation dilemmas, complaints and malpractice actions
- Best practices in the professional relationship, informed consent and office policies
You will learn through problem-solving discussions that are representative of actual ethical decisions you encounter in your clinical practice. The blending of Susan’s experience as a lawyer, work within the court system and extensive clinical experience makes her a hands-on, knowledgeable instructor!
This recording will help to prepare you for when and if you are faced with litigation.
|Manual – North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians (2.04 MB)||42 Pages||Available after Purchase|
- Law vs. ethics
- Elements of legal informed consent
- Nuts and bolts of office policies
- Records vs. psychotherapy notes
- What to put in a record
- Limitations on confidentiality
- North Dakota case law & danger to others
- North Dakota duty to warn potential victims
- The latest updates you need to know
Practical Approach to Risk Management
- Elements of Consent
- Competence & scope of practice
- Boundary violations/crossings
- Issues with modern technology
- Texting, cell phones, e-mail, video psychotherapy
- Perils of supervision
- Licensing complaints & malpractice lawsuits
- North Dakota specific statutes
- North Dakota rules and regulations
- Case law and how to find it
Navigate the Legal System
- Roles of attorneys
- Subpoena & disclosure of confidential information
- Depositions, interrogatories, expert testimony
Treatment of Minors
- North Dakota age of majority
- Consent to treatment
- Separation & divorce
Susan Lewis, Ph.D., J.D. Related seminars and products: 26
Susan J. Lewis, Ph.D., J.D., is a licensed clinical and forensic psychologist and lawyer. She has over 25 years of experience in clinical practice with unique populations that have included female sexual offenders incarcerated at a woman’s prison, self-injurious individuals, forensic patients and individuals who suffer from severe and persistent mental illness. In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Lewis has served in leadership roles as clinical director, program manager, and supervisor for psychiatry residents and post-doctoral psychologists.
Currently, Dr. Lewis teaches courses on Law and Ethics in Mental Health that are state specific to the laws of each state. She has also lectured nationwide on the DSM-5® and differential diagnosis. She taught courses at Harvard’s Extension School and Northeastern University on The Psychology of Criminal Behavior. She is the author of Legal and Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians: Best Practices for Avoiding Litigation, Complaints and Malpractice (PPM, 2016) and her latest book From Deep Within: A Forensic and Clinical Psychologist’s Journey (2018).
A sought-after consultant, Dr. Lewis works with attorneys on controversial issues such as dangerousness, competence to stand trial, criminal responsibility evaluations, and civil and criminal commitment. She works with attorneys on strategies of how mental illness might impinge on legal decision-making. Dr. Lewis has been adjudicated an expert in almost all of the district and superior courts in Massachusetts.
Her extensive clinical experience makes her a hands-on, knowledgeable instructor. She is engaging and has a wonderful sense of humor, which she brings to her seminars.
Financial: Susan Lewis is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Susan Lewis is a member of the American Psychological Association.
More from Categories : Health & Fitness
If you cannot see your Curriculum then your Order is being processed. Please contact us to update your account.
- Full lifetime access
- Language: English
- Certificate of Completion
- Lifetime Support