Enhance Nursing Staff Performance and Training Goals: Technology Tools to Captivate the Nurse Audience – Renee Davis
Picture this: A team of Nursing Professional Development Educators having to orient 50-100 new hire professional clinicians and support staff on a weekly basis, over 3-4, 7.5-hour days, with predominantly lecture-based or excessively long eLearning content.
This was my struggle… and along the way, I discovered solutions to dramatically improve the learning process for both new and experienced staff.
- Imagine having engaged learners in your professional orientations!
- Imagine increased content retention and active learning!
- Imagine your staff taking ownership of their learning!
- Get ready for a career-changing educational event!
Educational technology and gamification integration in Nursing Professional Development is still an emerging topic. Now is the time to take a deeper look at how technology and gaming can change the way we think about and deliver education. Movement is taking place now to facilitate education, as opposed to spoon feeding our staff. You will have opportunities to use the showcased tech tools to see just how easy and user friendly these free and low-cost platforms can be. Nurses need to be excited and engaged about their professional learning opportunities.
In this recording, you will learn how to bring the excitement back into education for your own amazing nurses.
- Implement gamified strategies for more engaging, interactive professional orientations and educational offerings.
- Distinguish between instructor-centered and learner-centric teaching modalities.
- Explain the relevance of active learning as it relates to improved staff engagement, content retention, staff competency validation, and patient care outcomes.
- Formulate strategies, inclusive of educational technology integration, that will improve learner engagement.
- Plan educational offerings, that include mobile devices, that can be implemented for just-in-time learning, department specific in-services, or even house-wide events.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of interactive educational programming on staff learning outcomes.
- Choose the educational technology and gamification platforms that work for your specific training needs.
What’s Trending in Professional Development?
- Learner experience
- Brain-based learning
What Does the Evidence Say?
- Impetus for the integration of educational technology
- Future of Nursing IOM (now known as National Academy of Medicine) Report—still relevant 8 years later
- Nursing Professional Development (NPD) Practice Model
- Shifts in learner preferences
- The changing healthcare landscape
Discovering the Age of Technology
- Mobile learning—What is it, and considerations related to its use for learning and development
- Technology and teaching innovations
- Generations & the connected age
Inquiring Minds Want to Know
- Demonstration of gaming platforms and games
- Game mechanics of each platform inclusive of tracking and reporting
- Review of free vs. fee—based features-get major impact without spending major dollars
- System requirements—what about your learning management system (LMS) and its role with these gaming tools?
Understanding and Overcoming Tech Challenges
- Technology/Gaming limitations
- Digital/Technological literacy of Nursing Staff Development Specialists/Faculty
- Digital literacy of the learner
- Lack of prep and/or familiarity with the gaming or educational technology platform
- Formal vs. informal education delivery
- Importance of data tracking
- Qualitative feedback
- Proven outcomes after education technology integration
Preparing for the Tech Changes Ahead
- Thinking differently about our education delivery methods
- Increased faculty development
- Remembering the power of orientation programs
- Seek innovation: Technological evolution in Nursing Professional Development and Academia
- Future projections: Virtual reality and social media for learning